Five Trader Joe's Products to Curb Your Cravings!
We all know how it feels when an intense desire for a specific food overcomes us. And let’s be honest, we rarely crave broccoli! Our cravings are usually for processed foods high in sugar, salt, or saturated fat.
And while it’s perfectly fine to treat ourselves to those foods in moderation, giving in to all our cravings would not be great for our health.
But rather than fighting your cravings, it’s more effective to prevent them from arising in the first place!
Below are some common causes of cravings + simple Trader Joe’s products that can help you curb them.
See the products!
- Check out our YouTube video to learn more about these products and how we use them. (And be sure to hit the Subscribe button for more recipe videos, meal ideas, and Trader Joe's product recommendations!)
1. Not Sleeping Enough
Feeling exhausted and running on empty? It could be a sign that you’re not getting enough sleep. And that’s a major cause of cravings.
Here’s why: When you get less than seven hours of sleep per night, your hunger hormone (ghrelin) increases and your “I’m satisfied” hormone (leptin) decreases. So, your brain tells you to eat more AND doesn’t register that you’re satisfied, even when you’ve eaten more than enough.
- Solution: Set a regular bedtime and create a relaxing nighttime routine. We love winding down in the evening with a delicious, soothing, caffeine-free tea like Trader Joe’s Well Rested Herbal Tea.
2. Starting Your Day Without Breakfast
Hey, we know mornings are busy, but when you skip breakfast, your body's blood sugar drops, causing you to feel hungry and crave quick-energy foods later in the day.
- Solution: Start your day with a balanced breakfast that includes protein, fiber, and healthy fats to help you feel full and satisfied. We love Trader Joe’s Unsweetened Instant Oatmeal because it’s high in fiber, has no added sugar, and is quick & easy to make. Add nuts or seeds plus a serving of fruit for a complete, well-balanced meal.
3. Getting Too Hungry Between Meals
When you go too long between meals and your stomach starts to growl, you’ll experience a blood sugar crash. This crash can cause intense cravings, especially for calorie-dense and processed foods.
- Solution: Fuel your body evert 2-3 hours with protein + carbs to stabilize your blood sugar. We love Just a Handful of Omega Trek Mix because it’s the perfect blend of protein & carbs and the individual packets are easy to grab & go.
4. Not Drinking Enough Water
Believe it or not, your brain can confuse thirst with hunger! We often think we’re hungry when we’re actually thirsty
- Solution: One of the easiest ways to reduce cravings is to drink 64 oz. of water per day. And if you get tired of drinking regular water, you can turn to naturally flavored mineral water. Just make sure it has no added sugar or artificial sweeteners. One of our favorites is Trader Joe’s Cranberry Clementine Sparkling Mineral Water.
5. Being Too Strict with Yourself
If you deny yourself your favorite foods & flavors, sooner or later your body will rebel. Deprivation almost always leads to extreme cravings.
- Solution: Plan to enjoy a couple of small treats each week. At just 100 calories each, Trader Joe’s Mini 70% Cacao Dark Chocolate Bars are a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Cravings are a normal and natural part of life, but they don't have to control your eating habits.
With a little patience and self-care, you can tame your cravings and make healthier choices. Experiment with some of these solutions (and Trader Joe’s products!) to find what works best for you.